MoreThanWordsLK

MoreThanWordsLK

I love to blog!  This blog will be mostly dedicated to the art of writing.  I also have two additional blogs:  More Than Words on Blogspot.com that deals with every topic under the sun and Theuerkauf's Tails on Blogspot.com that pertains to my crazy life as a mother to 7 fur babies.

I hope you enjoy reading my blogs!  I would love to connect with you!

A New Halloween Classic

The Witch Who Was Afraid of Witches - Alice Low, Jane Manning

The Witch who was Afraid of Witches by Alice Low follows Wendy, a young witch who cannot seem to do anything right.  Her oldest sister, Polly, knows everything.  And Wog, her older sister, knows how to do everything.  But Wendy has no witch power at all.

She also has another secret:  she is afraid of witches!  Wendy does not like to cackle or talk in a scary voice.  And she cannot stand darkness.

Wendy begs her older sisters to teach her their witchy ways, but they refuse.  Polly and Wog do not think that she has what it takes to be a true witch.  She cannot even keep track of her own broom!

Sad and alone on Halloween night, Wendy wonders what will become of her.  Suddenly, there is a knock at the door.  Curiosity gets the best of her and she decides to see who it is, despite her sisters' warnings.

As she opens the door, she sees a boy dressed as a ghost standing on her doorstep.  Wendy soon learns that the boy's name is Roger and he wastes no time in inviting her to go trick-or-treating with him.  Can he help Wendy see that she is a greater witch than she believes?

I greatly enjoyed reading this book.  The illustrations are beautiful and very expressive.  I would have liked to have seen a bit more depth with the plot, but I believe that this story will become the new Halloween classic that children will read again and again.